Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Just call me cowgirl...yeehaw!

A friend of mine took me horseback riding - spurs and all...which i didn't use. it was quite fun - lerned a lot about his family's land, the crops they grow, where the cattle graze, where they stay when it rains and they can't get back to town, etc. very interesting, very nice horse, only thought i was going to fally once - it's very hilly where we went and 1. i'm not used to being on a horse and 2. i'm not used to going down hills/through bushes and trees on a horse. but it was fine. the best/most scary part - when my friend made the horse run. I don't think i've ever been on a horse running before. so sweet. kinda wish horses came with seatbelts though. :)

It's raining scorpians and cockroaches...and all other insects!!
So I came home one day to the houses being fumigates...and spent the rest of the afternoon sneezing. it's incredible the amount of creey crawlies living in the housese that end up dead on the floor from the fumes. mostly spiders and other insects in my house, cockroaches in the latrine, and my friend had quite a few scorpians - pregnant ones too - so gross! but I thought i'd be spider free for a while...um no, maybe 2 days and they're back!! I just think of them as cheap wall decorations.

Other site news...
I bought a mini fridge- pretty exciting. Cold water is amazing. so are frozen chocolate bananas which my friend and i made when she came to visit. I move into my own house next week - exciting and odd at the same time...living alone, cooking without a pound of oil and salt...definitely different. My garden is growing nicely - soon it will be time to transplant the tomatoes. My youth group is still going. it's nice to see a few of them take charge of the group. we are still thinking of doing a tree nursery...trying to get seeds and bags. also, I started an English class - mostly girls as the boys are stilll way too shy around me. but they are really interested and work hard - very impressive. they all showed up the first day with their notebooks and pens and worked very diligently on spelling and pronunciation. although I don't really like teaching English, I think with this group it will be fun since they are so enthusiastic and truly want to learn. so that's really exciting. supossedly teachers go back to school on Jan. 5th...so hopefully i'll be a bit more busy then..i guess cleaning the school is first on the agenda. oh and i possible am going to teach PE since none of the teachers every do. Sweet!

I went to an evangelical wedding yesterday. vows pretty similar. no groomsmen but a few really young firls up front. we all went back to the bride's house for food and cake after. All the women were dressed up and all the men wore jeans.

New years plans...apparently we are cooking a ram...should be interesting. That's about it from here. I hope you all have a very safe and fun new years!! lots of love!

No comments: